Sunday, March 13, 2011

Way Back When

I remember when the A&P was a tiny corner store at the end of our street. This picture shows growth as it became a larger store in town. Then it went on to become one of the larger grocery chain stores across the country. I wonder what happened to all of those stores as now each State seems to have a chain store of its own. We have Fred Meyers which may or may not have become the model for the huge Walmart chain.
Buying cigarettes for a Christmas present was supposedly a good idea and the ads assured us that it was one way to be sophisticated and nothing was ever said about any health hazards. I didn't smoke Lucky Strikes but another brand I don't even remember now. All I can tell you is that a pack lasted at least three days and when the price went up to thirty-five cents a pack, I decided enough of that nonsense. I had better ways to burn my money.


Aah . . . what is coming down the pike! Are you ready for this?


The ladies were at a wine tasting and enjoying the candle light. The candles reminded me that we need to light a few for the people of Japan and really for our world as the nuclear threat hangs high. It has been days of frightening events and not one of us knows when and where we could have a similar disaster right here in our own country.
Last night we celebrated Peat's birthday and kidded him about how often his special day seems to come around. The conversation turned to the tragic events on going across the seas and we all agreed that so many dire events show us what is truly important in our lives. Peat wore his Sultan cap and delighted in his cards and gifts. We missed two of our ladies, one had gone over to Medford with her three little dogs to avoid the tsunami wave and the other was down with a bug. We missed them. The restaurant was all done up for St. Patrick's Day, complete with shamrocks and an Irish hat. It had been a banner day for me as I had been invited to attend the big hospice sale in Gold Beach with Marcia and her husband Jim. They rode up in their big old car, one of the Queens of the Road with its smooth comfortable ride, and I heard it gets twenty-eight miles a gallon on the highway and seventeen around town. Amazing for an old gal which has been well taken care of and what a ride!! So sharing time with friends and family assured me I was on the right track.
So today, I hope you are on the right track and you are making plans to share your day with some folks you care about. I had a big surprise in the mail of two packets of Bell Seasoning which is hard to find around here. Thanks Jo, now you have to plan your next holidays right here and enjoy the find. Reach out, touch someone as there will come a day you will be happy to feel the acceptance of a special kind of love. I thank my friends for their calls and concern and do remember that today the clock has gone one hour ahead....longer days...brighter days coming.....aah.....Hugs to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment