Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Alert

So what is all the excitement about . . . tsunami coming . . . at four thirty this morning I woke up to a thump, lights on in my living room and daughter Patricia dressed, ready and anxious to head for higher ground as there was a huge earthquake in Japan and the tsunami wave was making its way across the ocean to hit our coast line. We hear this often whenever an earthquake happens in our world but this was not talk, but action as the siren sounded (and I didn't hear it), as neighbors called to make sure I was up and making ready for the evacuation (I didn't hear the phone) but you can be sure I woke up and dressed, even made my bed . . . after all you cannot leave an unmade bed. . . Pat had the coffee made and Marcia's delicious muffins were put to the test. I must get that recipe. We listened to the radio and the local television station and were told that wave should hit about seven fifteen a.m. We were told several places we could go for shelter and we chose the Presbyterian church up on Easy street where we met some very nice people. The coffee pot was on, then donuts and cereal bars were brought in and conversation flowed. We huddled by the window facing the ocean where there were huge rocks being inundated by the incoming waves. We saw the ripples of the wave action increase but not rise. We saw a line of what could have been a huge wave off on the horizon but it turned out to be clouds hugging the horizon.


The animals seem to react more than we humans. One lady was saying her cats have been driving her crazy for two days just hanging in so close to her. I guess they sense the changes in the atmosphere. Emma was great, she was so good . . . maybe she is immune to tsunami waves. John wrote from Anchorage saying the tsunami wave passed by there with no damage.
I had an e mail from Bob and Andrea saying their daughter is alive and safe over in Japan but they are waiting to hear more when things settle down. Son Michael called to be sure we were okay. Pat talked with granddaughter Erin who lives in San Francisco near the water but she was on her way to work which is in a huge mansion of a school and could go up to the top floor if necessary.

All in all it was an experience and a crash course in what might have been and how to best prepare for future scares. A small travel bag filled with a change of clothing, a tooth brush, important papers, water and some dry foods and medication if you have to take some. We did have ample warning so had plenty of time to get things ready. So you look around and wonder what it would be like to have all of 'this' gone . . . not the end of the world, just a new beginning when things settle down.
The gulls and the pigeons huddle in a pack. We noticed this the other day when we were down at the Port. Now that is an area that would be inundated quickly and a lot of damage would be done. In this particular case the picture came in with a caption that the pigeons were waiting for the statue of a known politician to be completed. Reminds me of painting a bird on a statue many years ago because it was a favorite resting place.


AND the puzzle is finished and one blue piece on the left side went missing. We checked everywhere but no luck. This was a picture of Niagara Falls and the city behind it. It was not an easy puzzle but it was an interesting one. I think I have had my fill of puzzles for this winter season and will let the rest wait until next Fall. Pat says I'll break down in days and put up another but I don't think so. I have so many good books waiting to be read and if the sun is going to shine, I know just where to go and sit and enjoy it and my book.
So today, I thank you for caring. Thanks for the calls and the interest for our safety. I hope you are safe where you are and enjoying your day. Make it a good one and be sure you put together a few extra pieces of clothing and some necessary evils in case you have an alarm go off at four thirty in the money . . . you can grab and run. There are a lot of really nice people out there just waiting to meet and greet you. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment