Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sunshine

The Marguerite bush is starting up once again a sure sign that spring is here, so they say, but our weather is iffy, one minute dark clouds scud above, then some blue sky peeks through and yesterday the sun came out for a good hour and it felt so good. I actually swept the garage and dusted a bit of cobwebs away and stood by the porch railing letting the sun warm my face. This has been a long winter in spite of the fact I have blogged daily and mentioned more than one time that time has a way of fleeting. . . well it does . . . but . . . it also stands still when your spirit is reduced to stormy weather that refuses to let go. Even the little birds nested in our back hedges that grow tall and willowy took off when I opened the door and sat on the wires above the yard. I wanted to go and get my camera but they didn't stay out long enough. I would guess the little ones have grown through the winter months and a count of fifty or more would not be an exaggeration. They are at home in the big bushes and once I start feeding them again, I will be treated to their life story as the new babies join the chorus. The bird house looks like it is falling apart so a new one may be in order. This one has glass sides so it allows a peek or two as the birds gather and munch. I have lots of work waiting to be done and believe me, working in the yard is of the pleasures of life. I am looking forward to reading out on the porch too as I have three new books , one I started yesterday and have almost hit the half way mark, a page turner .



Yesterday Kevin came by with his son Jacob, a handsome young man about nine or ten, a fourth grader and a bit shy. It was such fun to have a young visitor who did answer all my 'dumb' questions and although he admitted not not be a lover of books, but he found a series I never heard of that has to do with mythology and is enjoying those . . . who knows it may make a reader of him yet. His father stood proudly by and said he was a very good student and he was very proud of him. How wonderful to have small children to love and care for. I laughed when I was told that the two left home because it is spring break and the house was filled with tiny ones being baby sat and these two 'men' had to get away from all those females. I planted the seed that all good father's take their son out to lunch and Jacob thought that was a good idea.



So each day brings something special into our lives and we never know what it will be. It doesn't have to be anything big, just a small surprise or two, like the sun peeking out of the dark clouds, or a visit from a friend be it in person or by e-mail or phone. I think it is the little surprises that make us feel good. So today, surprise someone with a cherry hello, a hug or a drop in visit if you can. Make your seconds count and don't spare the smiles . . . share them. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment