Thursday, May 26, 2011

Good Morning

How are you this morning?    I hope each and everyone of you are gearing up for the Memorial Day Holiday.  Here in Brookings there are a lot of exciting venues starting with a parade down our main street even though a squall or two has been predicted.    The Garden Club is having the plant sale and I am looking for a plant called "Piers Andromeda" for my garden.   If you haven't seen this plant then you are missing out on something not only beautiful but so different it draws you to it like bees to nectar.     The pale white cluster looks like grapes from a distance but the soft tiny petals belie this and the bright red flower is an amazing surprise as it peeks out from green leaves.    It really is different and grows into a huge bush.   Now all I have to do is find one.

There is going to be a quilt show which always draws a crowd.   The folks who quilt have much to brag about as they come up with some unique and beautiful designs.    I tried to make a quilt or two in my time and like trying to make clothing, I found it was not my forte.    I enjoyed the actual piecing and sewing but couldn't make it come out like it should.  God forbid I ever tried to wear anything I made, with my luck, I probably sewed the neck shut.    I once had a friend, who was a wonderful seamstress and could make anything, tell me not to even try and that was after taking home a blouse I had cut out.  She never did tell me what I did wrong, but by her vocal expressions I figured I had done some one thing I should not have.   Come to think of it, in school the nuns tried to teach us to make fancy stitches on special cloth they used for the altar . . . now I know why mine was never chosen.


We will be out and about as the artists are showing in the gym.   Last I heard there were over a hundred pictures to be juried.   I hope my friend Sharon Guinn has a couple of her art works in there.   She usually walks off with a prize or two.    The other artisans will be showing their wares in the school gym and it is always fun to walk around and see the things they come up with.   


So today, as you near the end of your work week and have festivities to attend, remember to take time out and just relax and catch up with yourself.     Let the dust kitties alone for this weekend and get out there and make merry.    Most of all take the time to remember what the day really stands for and do a little soul searching and find a prayer or two for the men and women who gave their all for each one of us.   I'm for lighting a  candle or two and send a prayer up for the safety of those now overseas.    Join me in this endeaver and then grab a hot dog and don't forget the mustard.   Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment