Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Rainbow Day

We had not one, but two, rainbows in our skies this week. The cloud hovers and stretches across the sky with a somber deep gray, almost like the storm has arrived but in its stead is a beautiful complete rainbow stretching across the sky. It has a feeling all its own and my reaction is to smile. A feeling of serenity as the colors glow and the arch remains for awhile. Speaking of rainbows, I had a rainbow day yesterday as friend Marge came to share some of her busy time with me. Of course I had to bribe her with my famous tuna salad sandwich and no desert, all because I have given up sweets for lent. Well, the unsweetened applesauce was a treat. My friend is talented and always up to something new and different. She is creative and her work is perfection. She brought over her new project and much to my surprise it was a new style frame upon which was the making of a rug. She has chosen the Irish Claddagh sign to show off her Irish. I thought it was much like the old latch and hook rug making of yesterday, but it is different. Many years ago, I had a friend who saved all wool rags and made a 9x12 rug for her living room that was one of the most beautiful rugs I have ever seen. Marge tells me she is not going to put her mat size rug down on the floor as it would not be washable and will probably frame it and hang it on a wall. She even has a spot in mind. It will be lovely and will remind her of all the hours she put into it. I am laughing as my sister-in-law Eileen always wanted to own one of those expensive all wool living room rugs that came from India, hand woven and had a pattern all its own. She saved for years and finally bought one but left it rolled rather than put it on the floor and have anyone walk on it. We teased her for weeks before she finally got the courage to put the rug down and before a week was out she did let us walk on it. Her husband offered to make a frame so she could hang it, but she finally learned that her rug would not fall apart because someone walked on it. She had it for years and it remained bright and beautiful and gave her years of pleasure. Marge has several other projects she is working on. She makes some of the most beautiful jewelry pieces and has an eye for color and beauty. She also knits and has a loom to make some other beautiful things, along with felted bags that are clever and useful. So Marge, thank you for a loan of you and for sharing your time. There is nothing better than have a friend drop in, especially one who brings along some lemon tea bags. What a treat. Stay healthy and happy and plot and plan another chunk of time soon. So today, while you are out and about on this Tuesday, give some thought to a friend you have not seen in a while. Pick up your phone and make a call just for a fast hello, or if you are in their neighborhood, ring the bell and stop by for a hug and a hello. I see where my computer card folks are coming up with a brand new 'note' idea which should become very popular. The cards are fantastic and it is so easy to send one for any occasion or just because you can. I will have to try the notes and see how they work when I want to send a quick message to tell you how much I value YOU, just because YOU are YOU!! Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment